The basic elements of governance are covered in this course which will be delivered with emphasis on the challenges of making sure school governance is effective in contributing to the raising of standards in school.
The courses are a combination of presentations, group discussions, group and individual activities and plenty of time for questions. Hand-outs will be provided and it is recommended that these are circulated to the whole governing body for information.
- To understand the main purpose of governance and the role of the governing body
- Define the powers and duties of governing bodies
- To identify the key elements of the strategic role including the importance of the school development plan
- To understand the governing body’s role in overseeing the financial performance of the school
- To help new governors to become confident and effective
Cost £120 per delegate. Schools that buy the Gold SLA may be entitled to free places
Governors should also attend Induction 2 which is bookable separately